[GRASS-dev] nviz compile errors on Mac OS X

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Sep 14 13:50:35 EDT 2008

William,

see below

On Sep 14, 2008, at 9:07 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2008, at 12:52 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Attached is the crashlog
>>
>> There is something a bit odd with the header information. It has
>> the right path for my MacPython version installation, but the
>> version is for the Apple system Python. I wonder if this is along
>> the same lines as the issue that was killing vdigit.
>>
>> Michael
>

> For some reason the MacPython has always been built with that 2.5a0
> version number, no matter what 2.5.x version it really is.  So
> everything there is macpython.

That explains my confusion over this.

> It looks like it's crashing trying to load a module, but it's not
> saying what it is.
>

> *Update*
>
> Test on Mini: nviz sortof runs (no crash) - the "Please wait,
> there are a palette and quit (nviz) tool buttons.  I can "quit" nviz
> and the please wait dialog goes away.
>
> In addition to the other macpython + wx I mentioned, I installed
> PyOpenGl 3.0.0b5.

This shouldn't be necessary to run OpenGL but maybe Martin is using it
for something.

> I get the same when I compile for the system python.
>

> How did you configure GRASS?  The relevant options I used are:
>
> --with-x
> --with-python
> --with-opengl=aqua
> --without-tcltk
> --with-wxwidgets=/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.8.1/bin/wx-config

Here is a potential problem. I was using

--with-x
--with-opengl=aqua
--with-tcltk-includes="/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers /
Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers /Library/Frameworks/
Tk.framework/PrivateHeaders"
--with-python=/usr/local/bin/python-config
--with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config (on someone's suggestion recently
to solve a different issue)

I just changed that and compiled using

  --with-wxwidgets=/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.8.1/bin/wx-config

But I'm still getting the python crash. I'm attaching the new crash log.

If OSX 10.5 is installing Python 2.5.1, maybe I should ditch Python
2.5.2 for simplicity's sake. I still want the most recent wxPython
however, because it contains some important bug fixes for OSX. Do you
think I can just uninstall Python 2.5.2 and wxPython, then reinstall
wxPython linked to the system Python? Can I just move other site
packages or do I have to reinstall everything?

Michael