[GRASS-dev] Re: Problem when loading GRASS 6 raster with large integer values into R via r.out.bin

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Sep 18 10:02:57 EDT 2008

Markus Neteler <neteler <at> osgeo.org> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand <at>
> nhh.no> wrote:
> > Markus Neteler <neteler <at> osgeo.org> writes:

> Well, not by me (maybe I was unclear?). I wrote:

> means:
> - the GDAL plugin is no option here since it does not respect current
>   region settings
> - r.out.gdal is good since it does the job (AFAIK). Written in C
> - r.out.gdal.sh is bad since it used the plugin.

> > I can look at using r.out.gdal for making the temporary file, but
> > IIRC, it suffers from the region mismatch problem that r.out.bin
> > solves by resampling on the fly.
>
> I am confused. AFAIK the behaviour of r.out.bin and r.out.gdal is the
> same.

OK, probably my misunderstanding, I thought that the only concern was
using the plugin to avoid any temporary file wastage of time or space.
I can revisit this in relation to using r.out.gdal for GRASS >= 6.3
instead of r.out.bin - in which case I can make r.out.gdal use 32
bits for integers and 64 bits for float/doubles.

Roger