[GRASS-dev] Re: Looking for information

Rudolf Pasaribu rudolf_pasaribu at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 23:46:59 EDT 2008

Dear All,

My name is Rudolf from Indonesia and I would like to ask few question regarding GIS application. At the moment I am using Mac Computer and my friend who is working in Geology interested to use Mac laptop. However, there are few things he was concerned whether he can still use Arc Gis from ESRI on Mac or should he use native GIS software for Mac.

>From the website I knew that Grass GIS is native for Mac but whether the program compatible with ArcGIS software or not is not clear to me. So, these the questions I would like to know:
1. Would be possible to convert all ArcGIS data to Grass GIS like open file Word created in Windows in Mac? If yes, is there any change appear on Grass GIS of the data or would it be open as what it appeared in ArcGIS?
2. Is there  GPS that can work with Mac? Like Garmin, which type/model?
3. Is there a demo version of Grass GIS I can try should answer to number 1 is yes?

I guess that's all for know and thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,