[GRASS-dev] Compiling GRASS on Ubuntu

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Apr 8 07:43:30 EDT 2009

On 08/04/09 12:42, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM, dasuni kannangara <dasuni7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Markus. i followed the instructions, still am getting the same
>> result. I have attached a screen shot of the console. Please refer it and
>> please reply what i can do to compile the codes properly.console
>
> When you execute ./configure, look out for error messages. In your
> case, configure quits with an error message:
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate lex
>
> in your case, you have to install lex
>
> Make sure that you have all dependencies (and the dev packages!) installed.

To make this easier on any Debian-derived system (such as Ubuntu) you
can run

apt-get build-dep grass

first in order to install all build dependencies.

You can also do this:

apt-get source grass

to get the source code of the ubuntu grass package, then copy the
debian/ folder in that source code into the more recent source code you
downloaded from the GRASS site and then run 'fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage'
in the root directory of the source code.

You are aware that there are fairly recent grass packages for Ubuntu
available here:

http://les-ejk.cz/ubuntu/

?

Moritz