[GRASS-dev] Compiling GRASS on Ubuntu

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 06:42:47 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM, dasuni kannangara <dasuni7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Markus. i followed the instructions, still am getting the same
> result. I have attached a screen shot of the console. Please refer it and
> please reply what i can do to compile the codes properly.console

When you execute ./configure, look out for error messages. In your
case, configure quits with an error message:
configure: error: *** Unable to locate lex

in your case, you have to install lex

Make sure that you have all dependencies (and the dev packages!) installed.

Cheers

Rainer

> Markus Metz-2 wrote:
> dasuni kannangara wrote: > i am using ubuntu 8.10. I have downloaded grass
> 6.2.3 source code. I referred the INSTAL file and installed all pre
> requisites. I am trying to compile the source code now. But when i enter the
> command 'make', it says, > > Makefile:22: include/Make/Platform.make: No
> such file or directory > Makefile:23: include/Make/Grass.make: No such file
> or directory > make: *** No rule to make target `include/Make/Grass.make'.
> Stop. > Have you configured the source code first with ./configure? See also
> (B) COMPILATION in the INSTALL file. > Please provide me step by step
> details on how to compile the source code. > 1. get source code for
> grass-6.4.0RC3, this version is much better than grass-6.2.3 2. run
> ./configure within the directory grass-6.4.0RC3 with your choice of
> configuration options, optionally first ./configure --help to see
> configuration options 3. only now can you 'make' grass see also grass wiki
> on compile and install [1] [1]
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Ubuntu

Rainer M. Krug, Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology,
Stellenbosch University, South Africa