[GRASS-dev] Programming in GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Apr 9 10:20:29 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:

> I am curious to know if any of the current devels use an IDE
> for grass? personally I just use nedit for normal stuff and vi
> for minor|major tasks, and make from the command line. debug
> using printf, gdb, and/or kdbg depending on how evil it is.
> works well for me.
>
> does emacs count as an IDE or would that be insulting its power?

I use XEmacs. I suppose it could count as an IDE, although it's more
of an IEE: "Integrated Everything Environment".

Apart from editing source files and Makefiles, it has facilities for
running the compiler, parsing the error messages, and locating an
error in the source code. It also has interfaces to GDB and to several
revision-control systems. Also, viewers for manual pages, Info files
and HTML files.

About the only feature of "typical" IDEs which is missing is a GUI
front-end for managing the file hierarchy.