[GRASS-dev] what dependencies does GRASS actually need to run?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Apr 15 13:36:58 EDT 2009

OSX generally uses dynamic libraries.  There are a few static
libraries available, but frameworks are *always* dynamic.  Any
(dynamic) libraries used from the system will always be available on
all Mac systems of the same version, so there is no need to worry
about those as requirements for the end user to worry about.

For OSX, everything in the General Requirements (REQUIREMENTS.html),
except GDAL and PROJ, is available in the system (though X11 is an
optional install for OSX).  So, you could get a basic functional CLI/
X11-based (no GUIs, a few missing/nonfunctional modules) GRASS with
only GDAL and PROJ.

Many of the optional requirements are not available in the OSX system
and others are quite old, and must be installed separately.

When you build the OSX application, you can bundle extra libraries in
the application, so the user doesn't have to worry about downloading
and installing them - this is what I do for my binaries, except that
the frameworks are separate installs.  Add install commands to macosx/
pkg/bundle.make and use make bindist to generate a bundled application
and installer.