[GRASS-dev] what dependencies does GRASS actually need to run?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 15 16:05:00 EDT 2009

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > This is what I'm asking about. What is a minimal set of dependencies to
> > do most things?
>
> Define "most things" ;-)
>
> You definitely will need libc, I guess proj, don't know about zlib.
> Don't know if you could create a working GRASS installation (working,
> but stripped down in its functionality) with just those... If you want
> some sort of output, you probably need libnpng.
>
> But I'll leave this to the experts. Glynn ?

libgis (and thus all of GRASS) requires zlib.

If you use --without-opengl, --without-x11, --without-wxwidgets and
--without-tcltk, that eliminates a lot of dependencies at the expense
of NVIZ, vdigit, xganim, and ximgview. For the GUI, wxPython will need
some of those libraries, but you aren't hard-coding dependencies on
specific versions into the package.

If you still want NVIZ, building --without-ffmpeg may significantly
reduce the number of dependencies.

Building --without-cairo gets rid of a few more, as does
--without-blas/lapack and --without-fftw (both of these add
dependencies to the gmath library, which is used by ~34 modules).

The PNG driver can be built --without-png; the GUI only needs PNM
output, which doesn't require any libraries.

Once you've done all of that, you're left with PROJ, GDAL, and
whatever libraries GDAL requires. The main issue is that GDAL can
require an almost open-ended set of libraries, depending upon which
options it was built with.