[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Label crash

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Apr 17 09:09:05 EDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 4:24 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> No problem, looks fine.
> It seems to be Mac specific.

Yes, it's a Mac problem.  Something that changed in OSX 10.5.

>> And I get the following repeated a whole bunch of times:
>>
>> The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
>> functionality
>> safely. You MUST exec().
>> Break on
>> __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__
>> ()
>> to debug.
>>
>> The same thing happens if I use d.mon start=PNG.
>
> could fork() in
> lib/driver/main.c
> be the problem?

Very possible.  But it's only forks that make it into OSX
CoreFoundation.  I see a lot of forks in the GRASS source and this is
the only one (so far) that has caused the CoreFoundation problem, but
maybe they're just waiting to cause trouble.  In this case, Freetype
gets into corefoundation.  I just tried a X monitor, same error.

... ah, we have a bug report already: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/377

Michael mentions labels and the forking problem, though the report is
for a more specific problem.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy