[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #73: r.out.gdal tiff output does not work

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Apr 17 12:38:20 EDT 2009

On 17/04/09 16:53, Markus Metz wrote:
> For r.out.gdal, there was discussion about not to override user options
> and instead issue an error or a warning (going for error now) that the
> nodata value is out of range. Currently, all default nodata values are
> within the range of the selected GDAL data type. User-defined nodata
> values are tested whether they are within the range of the selected data
> type, if not, r.out.gdal in trunk and devbr6 exits with an error
> message. r.out.gdal also exits with an error message if the nodata value
> is present in the raster to be exported in order to avoid data loss.
> This is a rather strict and conservative approach because of the
> reported problems with nodata in r.out.gdal exports.

In the current state is there a possibility of using gdal's acceptance
of unvalid nodata ? And can we force a nodata value which exists in the
map ?

I would agree with Dylan that this kind of brute-force method should
remain possible, be it through the suggested -f flag. I'm always wary of
programs that assume they know better than you what you want ;-)

Moritz