[GRASS-dev] Re: Border in ps.map3

E. Jorge Tizado ejtizado at ono.com
Sat Apr 18 07:49:30 EDT 2009

Hi Hamish,

I'm too busy with my 'normal job' to continue with the same intensity in
ps.output (new name for ps3.map, ps.map3 and don't touch the name ps.map, the
future will set a good name), I hope work ps.output in little steps now and
recover intensity in June and the summer holidays. Thus, A new PS directory
in the addons is needed to send this addon to repository in few weeks.

Now, work all standard features (I am testing) except:
- Geogrid in South Latitude.
- Labels because there is a new format with DRAW command (see MAP_draw) with
many free possibilities of draw on the map.

Some TODO:
- The IHO grid format don't write the numbers, I trying to write as 24ºN/23.4'
or 4700/000, similar to the examples you send me. And to refine when labels
and lines are near to border.
- More DRAW command as free symbol, text, north_arrow (with automatic
convergence)...
- Center title of legend (perhaps with a dot in the first character of the
text title)
- Text divisions in v_legend
- Better order in r_legend
- more
- the description.html :)

> I guess it is a mix of border, grid, and geogrid.
> maybe border->style?

This is a possibility. Border is now in maparea command and grid/geogrid has
their format command to border because depend of major and minor divisions.
But, I have not clear how is the better implementation.

> it is possible to automatically select that on nice round
> numbers, at the loss of user control. maybe try to auto-choose
> a default but let the user set specific major/minor divisions
> if they like?

ok, it is easy set a limit of round zeros. I take note to adding a 'round #'
subcommand in grid. The grid command is now as in the attached files
Map_grid_#.pdf

> > The grid is draw in UTM y LL proyection. Geogrid is only to
> > draw LL in UTM projections
>
> well, not just UTM -- any non-LL projection.

the 'if' select the LL or the non-LL (for me UTM :)
A question: Are all non-LL projection orthogonal as UTM and LL in their
respective projections? grid is defined as orthogonal

> > Also there is news in scalebar (new types, one IHO style)
> > but in other e-mail.
>
> I am interested to see and try it.

You can see the 5 styles (really 3 with 2 variations [f/F, I, s/S]) in the
attachs (red background uggly :) but is for remark). The bar is draw with any
color (same as font, here always black) and alternate any color (with fcolor,
except one here none). The IHO style is the 5, with the new features you can
draw any IHO style but this is decided by user not default by scale. Also it
can draw a background and a border frame around it (ps-scalebar_1.jpg)

> any chance to host in the addons SVN?
>
> also, black/white bar borders seem popular with the GMT maps:
>   http://www.seismology.harvard.edu/~becker/igmt/examples/example4.gif
>   http://www.seismology.harvard.edu/~becker/igmt/examples/example1.gif

Yes, I have in mind and the source is prepare to do, really is the second
border of the IHO border with central line as with as the border rectangle
(the IHO border has 3 border, a fine_grid subdivision of the minor command by
6 in LL and by 10 in UTM -non-LL-, a minor_grid similar to the popular GMT,
and a major_grid with text). Perhaps I can implement easely as a format 3
border with outside labels (or as the standard border for format 1). I accept
any suggestion because I want finish the border/grid commands and concentrate
in v_legend (and free-draw) command.

There are many others questions to make it a easy to manage but with a
professional output. But this e-mail just too big.

Jorge

P.S. I'm sorry by this big e-mail
P.S. Last monday I went to print several A3 map make with ps.output to a
copycenter that print many ArcGis maps of ours university students. But the
question was 'What program I use to make this maps?' :)) GRASS

--
E. Jorge Tizado
Dpt. Biodiversity and Environmental Management