[GRASS-dev] Re: PROJ csv files sync GDAL -> GRASS?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 28 12:05:59 EDT 2009

Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>>> I think we can remove the files and the associated stuff you
>>> mentioned if
>>> these conditions are true:
>>>  * The .csv files are always installed by default with GDAL
>>>  * A GDAL installation is not considered a working installation if these
>>>   files are not present
>>
>> I have no idea if the conditions are true...
>
> Me neither. I think perhaps we should experimentally remove the files in
> 7.x and let GDAL find them itself, and see if there are any problems
> reported. I will do that when I get some time.

Paul / Markus,

The gdal/data/*.csv files are installed by default with GDAL.

"considered a working installation" is a relative thing.  There are
folks who use GDAL without the .csv files and most things work fine.
It will not always be immediately obvious if the files are missing.
But generally, they are required for coorect operation of GDAL.

Best regards,