[GRASS-dev] gmath/gpde Patch for grass6.5 and grass7

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 04:23:00 EDT 2009

Soeren wrote:
> if there are no objections against the changes and the new
> LGPL'd ccmath library?

I have no comment either way on the technical side of the library changes
beyond wondering if it will peacefully interact with the (mostly unused)
existing --with-blas --with-lapack ./configure switches.

As for including a dependent library in GRASS I personally don't have
a problem with that as it does not seem to be widely available or have
much infrastructure of its own (beyond a e.g. Freshmeat.net writeup
page*). i.e. not a fork because there isn't really any new version to
keep in sync with, and users would have a hard time finding a package
for it.

As for including LGPL code in the main trunk I personally don't have a
problem with that as it reflects the upstream license/author's wishes,
is new code, and is used as a library. By my reading the RFC2 doc nor
'g.version -c' & the COPYING file need any adjustment to cover this.
But a formal decision on that may be a matter for the PSC.

As long as everything in the lib/ccmath/ dir falls under the same (GPL
compatible) license and the LGPL.txt file is placed in that dir I'd be
happy.

Hamish

[*] a web search for ccmath found a most interesting auto-georegistration
tool for applying/projecting a 3D registration onto 2D photographs:
gipfel.  Check out the .avi demo.
  http://io.debian.net/~tar/debian/gipfel/
Note the track overlay is from a x,y,z text file, very neat.
reminds me a bit of i.points.auto, Stereo[1], and autopano-sift[2]
software.
[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/stereo-grass/index.html
[2] http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/autopano-sift/