[GRASS-dev] gmath/gpde Patch for grass6.5 and grass7

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 03:20:07 EDT 2009

Soeren:
> > IMHO it may be difficult to re-license the ccmath library under
> > the GPL ... .

Hamish:
> why? Term 3 of the LGPL exists to describe exactly how to do that.

Soeren:
> I am not concerned about the technical way, but about
> agreement of the original author of ccmath. Maybe i am
> wrong, but AFAICT as the copyright holder he has to agree
> that we can change the license of his code.

The authors already gave consent to do that when they released the
code under the terms of the LGPL, which explicitly allows that.
The terms you see laid out in their LPGL.txt file are /their/ terms,
not the FSF's.

As a matter of good will it could be nice to drop them a note to thank
them and say what we have done, but I don't think we need their permission
to do it.

None the less, my 2c vote would be to keep it as LGPL and put it in the
existing lib/external/ directory.

Hamish