[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-windows] No such file or dire

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 11:57:57 EDT 2009

Hamish:
> [r.in.poly fails to read text input file on Windows wxGUI Cmd> line]
>
> I have checked at the r.in.poly source code, the problem does
> not seem to be there. The path is passed to fopen() verbatim.
>
> what version/revision of 6.4.0svn is this? is it the latest?
>
> ISTR that Martin&Glynn had fixed this -- wxGUI now uses a
> python parser which understands shell quoting on the Cmd> line.
> But that might only be present in the very latest build.

I'm having a hard time finding that in SVN now...  ??

Peter:
> The 'About' window says
> GRASS GIS 6.4.0svn (2009)
> GIS Library Revision 37101 (2009-05-10)
> I downloaded and installed on 02-Aug.

(we are trying to stabilize especially the library so its rev may stay
the same for several versions)

but Aug 2 is a few days into the latest version of Colin's package, so
you'll be using the latest version. Our field laptop just came back from
the field so I can now test the same.

I can reproduce the error; I can also reproduce the error in Linux if
I take the odd step of putting a '\' in the filename.

Workaround 1:
Just use the File-> Import raster -> import lines and polygons from ASCII
file GUI.

Workaround 2:
On the Cmd> line you need to quote the '\' character in the path names
with another '\', for example:

  r.in.poly input=C:\\Grassdata\\polygon.txt

the trouble is that '\' is the verbatim-character-follows quoting
character, disabling it could cause other issues (dealing with spaces
in path names for example). I had though that we were now using the
Python native path parser, but as mentioned above I can't find that in
the code now. I can see how C:\\path\\to\\file would get annoying quite
quickly on Windows.

Hamish