[GRASS-dev] probable v.db.connect -g parsing problem

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 24 06:50:57 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice a probable problem parsing v.db.connect's -g output. An
> extra term containing the layer-name (if present) is added to the
> first data column. e.g. if layer 1 had the name "layer_name"

> I am not an expert in these things so I ask: under what conditions
> would a vector DB layer have a name? Is it seen in the wild or is
> it just an unused nice idea someone had?

AFAICT, it is an unused nice idea that Radim had. The vector dblink
functions in field.c support layer number and name, but I can't find a
module that allows to set the layer name for a given layer number, it
seems you have to hand-edit the dbln file. Vector modules don't allow
(yet?) to select a layer by name instead of number. It is in Radim's
vector TODO and I would like to add that functionality to GRASS7.

Markus M