[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] another new symbol

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 07:02:31 EDT 2009

[this will probably bounce off the qgis list, feel free to fwd if it
doesn't turn up]

> Hamish ha scritto:
> > I added another new symbol in SVN called extra/fish. It's based on
> > the one in QGIS.

Paolo:
> Why don't we share symbols and icons across programs, without having to
> duplicate the efforts, and providing more consistency to users?

that's exactly what this new one was - I "just" had to translate QGIS's
..svg icon into GRASS's symbol format. (grass's symbol library doesn't
yet know how to do curves so I had to calculate those manually)
I'm close to the point where I have a matlab script that automatically
translate simple SVG into GRASS symbols, but in many ways these things
like to be hand crafted. At the end of the IconSymbols wiki page you will
find links to a number of .svg and .eps symbol repositories which can
already be used with ps.map. Better would be to translate that tool
into Python+SciPy or C.

see https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/733
 and the d.graph module

links-
https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/browser/trunk/qgis/images/svg
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/symbol/symbol
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/IconSymbols

> A sort of gis-desktop icons, see http://tango.freedesktop.org

The way for this to happen IMO is for grass's display library to
gain support for .svg, .eps, and perhaps .dxf files.

Perhaps closer to home than Tango's gis-desktop icons is the
collaboration between OpenStreetMap and GpsDrive re. gps POI symbols:
  http://www.gpsdrive.de/development/map-icons/overview.en.shtml
  http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/share/map-icons/
  http://www.gpsdrive.de/debian/pool/squeeze/openstreetmap-map-icons-svg*.deb

regards,