[GRASS-dev] Re: GUI feedback

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Thu Dec 10 07:09:24 EST 2009

> > * The self completing command line is kicking. I could imagine to see
> > all options of a command when typing it's name but greyed out. When
> > continue typing, they could become active.
>
> Right, or the complete command could be printed to statusbar.
>
> > * the completion does at times need a ' ' after the '='
>
> ?
If I enter:
'd.rast rast=' => no completion happens
'd.rast rast= ' => completion happens

> > * d.zoom map=elevation_shade does not zoom to the layer extends.
>
> d.zoom works only with X monitors.
But the context menu of the layer manager provides the option
"zoom to (the extends) of this layer"
This could be tied to d.zoom.
What do you think?

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/834

> > * There are numerous dialogs which still require to enter the layer name
> > manually instead of selecting from a list (g.region, r.region).
>
> ? E.g. 'rast' parameter enables selecting raster map... ?
Yes, that's what I mean.
In g.region for example. You'd have to type in the
name instead of being able to
select from all rasters via the drop-down list.

> > * Grass Extension manager (Very nice idea!!!) cannot install due to make
> > errors.
> Do you mean gem or g.extension?
The one in the File menu of grass70.

I think there should be a distribution system for
these addons.
We could use some kind of build farm
(like PPA in Ubuntu Launchpad) to
precomplie them for the platforms.
On windows, this becomes a issue.
The users would then only download and add the
binary versions locally.

I really like the plugin system of QGIS with its
repositories.

Question:
Do you like this kind of feedback or do you prefer it
directly as tickets in trac?

Thanks for the quick fix on the CTRL+TAB.

Best,
Timmie