[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Referencias de GRASS 6.3.0 nativo para MS-Windows

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 8 11:40:47 EST 2009

On Feb 8, 2009, at 8:44 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 08:54:18 +0100
> From: Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Referencias de GRASS 6.3.0
> 	nativo 	para MS-Windows
> To: hamish_b at yahoo.com
> Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hamish,
>
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> MS-windows (along with the new wxGUI), and it seems a bit crazy to be
>> nearing the final release and still the thing hasn't even been
>> tested.
>
> At least 5 people are testing the new GUI in the installer... sure,
> there
> could be more!
>
>> It is a relief the OSGeo4W installer build is there for users to try,
>> but it is not the same as double clicking on
>> "install_grass_6.4.0.exe";
>
> Fully agreed.
> Maybe we could separate out relevant things into a GRASS only
> installer? On the other hand folks often also want QGIS at least.
>
> A first improvement will be to move GRASS to "Express Install"
> which reduced installation to a few clicks.
>
>> and IIUC there are still wxGUI issues with the OSGeo4W package.
>
> Right - being worked on by a couple of people.
>
> Markus (mostly observer here)
>
> PS: I would like to do testing but don't know how to start grass64.bat
> in the mingw shell in wine...

A couple students in my lab tried installing GRASS 6.4 for Windows
from the OSGeo installer last week. Both are pretty adept and one
knows Linux fairly well. Both also had the single-install 6.3 package.
For one, all went smoothly and it worked fine. The other one has had
endless difficulty. At first he couldn't even get GRASS to launch. Now
it will launch, but dies after that. I can't remember the exact error,
but it could not find some dll that might not even be necessary to run
GRASS. AFAIK, he's still working on it.

Michael