[GRASS-dev] cleaning large vector files

Wouter Boasson Wouter.Boasson at rivm.nl
Mon Feb 23 17:13:56 EST 2009

I checked my swapfile, and under Mac OS there was certainly enough memory
available (4GB RAM and virtually unlimited swap, 64bit address space). This
did not help the clean action to complete successfully. Then, as you
suggested, I decided to recompile the 6.5dev branch (I used OpenSuse 11
Linux 64bit), and gave it a vast 3GB RAM + a 9GB swap partition. When
looking at the output v.clean only tried to allocate a mere 34MB, and the
system had about 9GB available at that time. So, I don't think my RAM
availability is the problem...

GRASS 6.5.svn (nl-rdn):~ > v.clean in=top_top10vec_gebouwen
out=top_top10vec_gebclean tool=bpol
Tool: Threshold
Break polygons: 0.000000e+00
Copying vector lines...
Rebuilding parts of topology...
Building topology for vector map <top_top10vec_gebclean>...
Registering primitives...
6041168 primitives registered
25000849 vertices registered
Number of nodes: 6037532
Number of primitives: 6041168
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 3021055
Number of centroids: 3020113
Number of areas: -
Number of isles: -
Tool: Break polygons
ERROR: G_realloc: unable to allocate 34800040 bytes at break_polygons.c:188
GRASS 6.5.svn (nl-rdn):~ >

With kind regards,

Wouter Boasson (MSc)
Geo-IT Research and Coordination

RIVM - National Institute for Public Health and the Environment
Expertise Centre for Methodology and Information Services

Contact information
-----------------------
RIVM
VenZ/EMI, Pb 86