[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS-dev] gis icons

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Sun Jan 4 17:17:27 EST 2009

Dear Michael,

I really appreciate your comments. They help me a lot.

> First, I voted for high-resolution and flat in the survey. The soft 3D
> look is really nice, but I worry that it is difficult to see some of
> the complex iconography. So some of my comments may not apply if you
> decide to go for higher-def imagery.

I don't want to go into details, but people are use to explicit explanations. If
some symbol is simple but new, 95% of users will say "interesting, but put in
the background flower and bicycle" :)
Save-open actions is an excellent example. When I tried to simplify it to arrows
(which are element of traditional icons) and generalized symbol of place/object
to save, most of comments was in the direction "arrow is OK but add folder
icon or disk icon or DVD icon". And my point is - we don't have to show one
specific storage media. This way symbol becomes more scalable.
But sometimes it is just too hard to simplify.

> 1. The size of the small action sub-icon in the lower right is fine
> for simple images like + and -, but it is hard to see more complex
> ones like redraw and export. Zoom last and zoom more are a bit hard to
> see, but easier than redraw and export.

That is why for blue sub-icons the area is bigger. By 1x1px, but bigger :)
Maybe I should increase it, but it decreases space for icon itself.
[to consider]

> 2. Query would be easier to identify if you put a raster (and maybe
> vector) pattern under the arrow tip.

See my initial comments ;)

> 3. Element-add could use some informative imagery like you did with
> analyze rather than a box. The GRASS icon in wxPython has a small
> arrow and legend. Also, it would probably be good to add a north arrow
> to the legend icon as this is the only place to get a north arrow too.

But 'element' stands for anything (alias nothing).
North arrow [to consider].

> 4. I could learn * as new without much difficulty, though I tend to
> think of it as 'select' for some reason. On the other hand, I can't
> think of a better image for new.

I had many problems with 'create'. This is n-th version. I agree it is very
similar to select/bookmark.

> 5a. Load and save make perfect sense, but most people are accustomed
> to a folder rather than your more abstract circle. I'd suggest a big
> arrow (like you have) and little folder in the lower right, but this
> goes against your grammar of large item and small action icon. Maybe
> use your map-export.png idea and have a small down arrow for save,
> small up arrow for load, and small horizontal arrow (minus the circle
> as superfluous) for export??

Just arrow is an interesting option. Or simple box like in sub-icons for save
and open.

> 5b. Save-as isn't easy to figure out. Once I know it, I get it, but
> it's not obvious. Arrow down into a document rather than a crooked
> down arrow?

I agree it's not obvious, but I do not like documents/folder in icons. Still
looking for better sign.

> 6. Digitizing add various features. A plus is easier to understand
> right away than a *. This makes grammatical sense: add a boundary to a
> vector, etc. It also complements the '-' for delete/remove feature.

Digitizing you usually create new objects. For me 'create' is not the same as
'add' [1]. The same is with delete and remove.
In other case of course we can use just + and -.

> 7. The imagery for add command layer is much more understandable than
> the current "gear", at least for me. But it's too small to see what it
> is. How about having the 'terminal' image fill the entire inner 'layer
> box' rather than be a 3rd box inside. Also, would black background and
> white letters be easier to see and understand as a terminal?

I almost don't use pure black/white, so contrast in this icon could be too big,
but I have to test it.

> 8. Need brighter colors on the otherwise very nice RGB-add (HIS-add is
> beautiful).

Probably my design goes too far into Glamour style :) but I like unsaturated
colors.

My goal for this weeks is to finish GRASS icons, but I write down carefully all
your comments and will test them.

Thank again for your very detailed description and patience.
Robert

[1] http://geoinformatics.fsv.cvut.cz/wiki/index.php
/Toolbar_icons_for_GIS_applications#Behind_the_scene_.E2.80.93_meaning_of_words_and_symbols