[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #205: warnings and errors when trying to print the display

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jan 10 11:12:49 EST 2009

In the wxPython/wxWidget docs, I found the following.

Printing under Unix (GTK+)

Printing under Unix has always been a cause of problems as Unix does
not provide a standard way to display text and graphics on screen and
print it to a printer using the same application programming interface
- instead, displaying on screen is done via the X11 library while
printing has to be done with using PostScript commands. This was
particularly difficult to handle for the case of fonts with the result
that only a selected number of application could offer WYSIWYG under
Unix. Equally, wxWidgets offered its own printing implementation using
PostScript which never really matched the screen display.

Starting with version 2.8.X, the GNOME project provides printing
support through the libgnomeprint and libgnomeprintui libraries by
which especially the font problem is mostly solved. Beginning with
version 2.5.4, the GTK+ port of wxWidgets can make use of these
libraries if wxWidgets is configured accordingly and if the libraries
are present. You need to configure wxWidgets with the configure --with-
gnomeprint switch and your application will then search for the GNOME
print libraries at runtime. If they are found, printing will be done
through these, otherwise the application will fall back to the old
PostScript printing code. Note that the application will not require
the GNOME print libraries to be installed in order to run (there will
be no dependency on these libraries).

In version GTK+ 2.10, support for printing has been added to GTK+
itself. Support for this has been added to wxWidgets in the
development branch and it will be available for wxWidgets 3.0.

Perhaps this is helpful.

Michael