[GRASS-dev] gmath and gpde update

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jan 11 08:02:11 EST 2009

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > Meschach is implemented in C and is able to replace the gmath library
> > completely with much better implementations.
> > I have integrated meschach into grass for testing purposes and, after
> > some very basic testing, it works nicely.
> > But im unsure if the licence of meschach is compatible with the GPL? Can
> > somebody please verify this? Im not an expert in licensing.
>
> This seems to be the relevant part:

> "The source code is available to be perused, used and passed on without
> cost, while ensuring that the quality of the software is not compromised."
>
> There is no mention of modification, and the second half of the sentence
> ("while ensuring that the quality of the software is not compromised")
> sounds quite suspicious to me. So, without claiming any expert knowledge
> either, I would be sceptical.

Where did you find that? It appears to contradict:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/m/meschach/current/copyright

  ** This Meschach Library is provided "as is" without any express
  ** or implied warranty of any kind with respect to this software.
  ** In particular the authors shall not be liable for any direct,
  ** indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages arising
  ** in any way from use of the software.
  **
  ** Everyone is granted permission to copy, modify and redistribute this
  ** Meschach Library, provided:
  **  1.  All copies contain this copyright notice.
  **  2.  All modified copies shall carry a notice stating who
  **      made the last modification and the date of such modification.
  **  3.  No charge is made for this software or works derived from it.
  **      This clause shall not be construed as constraining other software
  **      distributed on the same medium as this software, nor is a
  **      distribution fee considered a charge.

The latter is compatible with the GPL, the former certainly isn't.