[GRASS-dev] gmath and gpde update

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 14 08:26:47 EST 2009

Hi Hamish,

2009/1/13 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>

> Glynn:
> > > The GPL allows you to charge for derivative works (although being
> > > unable to prohibit free redistribution tends to limit this).
>
> as an example, OpenOSX.com sells GRASS for profit (as allowed by the GPL).
> ie beyond simply a distribution fee. The GPL says that a customer who
> purchased the binary (for any $X) has the right to request the *source
> code* at a cost no more than the a reasonable distribution fee. The
> original GPL binary could be sold for millions if all parties were happy
> with that price.
>

> Soeren Gebbert wrote:
> > Or can we risk to integrate it.
>
> never knowingly do the wrong thing.
>

> > Because IMHO we have a lot of numerical recipies code in gmath which
> > we need to replace.
>
> is there? I had thought that was all replaced.

The lu decomposition is lend line by line from nr:

http://books.google.de/books?id=1aAOdzK3FegC&pg=PA52&dq=numerical+recipes+algorithm+ludcmp&ei=2-NtSfSFLYquywTTrIjOCA#PPA52,M1

The G_tqli algorithm for eigenvalue computation is lend line by line from
nr:
http://books.google.de/books?id=1aAOdzK3FegC&pg=PA588&dq=numerical+recipes+algorithm+tqli&ei=n-VtSfDNAoquywTTrIjOCA#PPA588,M1

And so the G_tred2 algorithm at page 582:
http://books.google.de/books?id=1aAOdzK3FegC&pg=PA588&dq=numerical+recipes+algorithm+tred2&ei=WeZtSfetD6OOyQS1pIDjCw#PPA582,M1

The G_svdcomp algorithm in svd.c at page 59:
http://books.google.de/books?id=7vuNLcQhg8UC&pg=PA52&dq=numerical+recipes+algorithm+svdcmp&ei=COdtSYqtIIPmzAS1rtjcDQ#PPA59,M1