[GRASS-dev] gmath and gpde update

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 15:55:18 EST 2009

Moritz wrote:
>>> 3.  No charge is made for this software or works derived from it.
>>>     This clause shall not be construed as constraining other software
>>>     distributed on the same medium as this software, nor is a
>>>     distribution fee considered a charge.

Glynn:
> > The GPL allows you to charge for derivative works (although being
> > unable to prohibit free redistribution tends to limit this).

as an example, OpenOSX.com sells GRASS for profit (as allowed by the GPL).
ie beyond simply a distribution fee. The GPL says that a customer who
purchased the binary (for any $X) has the right to request the *source
code* at a cost no more than the a reasonable distribution fee. The
original GPL binary could be sold for millions if all parties were happy
with that price.

Soeren Gebbert wrote:
> Or can we risk to integrate it.

never knowingly do the wrong thing.

> Because IMHO we have a lot of numerical recipies code in gmath which
> we need to replace.

is there? I had thought that was all replaced.

> But replacing one license violation with another is not
> such a good idea.

FWIW the situation is not exactly equivalent, as long ago GRASS was
granted special permission/exemption by the Numerical Recipes authors.

That sort of special permission is not compatible with e.g. the Debian
Free Software Guidelines, so efforts had been made to replace it all
anyway. It was my understanding that this work had been completed.
Has it not?

(sorry if that is slightly fuzzy, I haven't reread the archives or GRASS
5 source to refresh my memory)

Hamish