[GRASS-dev] gmath and gpde update

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 14 08:34:59 EST 2009

2009/1/13 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>

> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
> > Either make meschach a dependency, as Glynn suggested, thus just linking
> > to it which, AFAIU, does not violate GPL, and which has the added
> > (important) advantage that we do not have to maintain the code. Or
> > convince the meschach developers to relicense.
>
> AFAIK, distributing binaries of GRASS which are linked against
> meschach is a violation of the GPL, the same as linking against e.g.
> DWG.
>
> In some cases, it may be possible to rely upon the "part of the OS"
> exemption for distributions which include a meschach package. But not
> all distributions include meschach (Gentoo doesn't have an ebuild for
> it).
>
> The situation is a bit different for v.in.dwg, as that's a
> non-essential package, while the gmath library is quite important. Any
> use of meschach would have to be implemented in such a way that
> existing functionality isn't lost in versions built without.

Thats the point. Many grass modules depend on libgmath. We cannot only write
wrapper for meschach and remove the existing nr algorithms. We need to
replace
the nr algorithm with something new and then optionally provide a wrapper
for meschach.
Additionally a unified interface must be implemented, because the grass
modules should not care if
meschach or the standard grass implementation is used.

Thats a lot of work.