[GRASS-dev] Re: wingrass640

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jan 15 06:26:47 EST 2009

hi Marco,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Marco Pasetti <pasetti.marco at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "blocking" thing is related to the "building environment update" I
> planned; in fact, some problems in the GRASS building are generated by some
> MSYS/MinGW lacks... that's why I decided to replace my current MSYS
> installation with a fully updated one... and here that's the problem! the
> MSYS project is poorely documented, and the 1.0.11 version of the istaller,
> even if available on the repository, is not officially present in the
> project list... but it seems to be more recent (and bug fixer) than the
> currently proposed one... even if not fully updated! and the updated are a
> little be confused (in the way you cannot just unpack the new files because
> some updates overwrite each other creating messy and buggy installations).
>
> I've been reading some articles and mails and I'm figuring how to solve this
> messy situation...

may I suggest to move the build instructions into the Wiki? Currently we have

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/native/#Build GRASS From Source
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/BuildingOnWindows
http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/grass/BuildFromSource.html#GRASS

which is rather confusing. A publicly editable document may accelerate the
progress to obtain a winGRASS 6.4.0RC2 since more people can add
suggestions and update the document to GRASS 6.4.x.

Markus