[GRASS-dev] r.watershed

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jan 17 12:12:22 EST 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> Helena
>
> P.S. I often do grass stuff from home over the net. For grass7
> display through gui, even clicking off or changing
> the names of layers is rather time consuming compared to d.rast with
> x0 (I have cable).
> Any hints, tricks on how to display maps fast when testing would be
> appreciated.

Helena,

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here, but will try to
offer some response. In the wxPython GUI, you can set it to display/
render the maps automatically OR turn this off and render the maps
manually by clicking the show/display button. This is in preferences.
Also, keep it in the default render mode and NOT "Constrain display
resolution to computational settings".

I'm sure that things run slower over a network. But on my local
machine, the display is much faster in the new GUI than in the old GUI
or d.rast via an xmon. I would think it ought to be faster even over
the network. The default in the GUI is to render maps for display at
screen resolution--often much lower than the map resolution. This
makes the display nearly instantaneous locally. It should also result
in less info sent over the network when run remotely. However, I don't
know how you had xmons configured or the current GUI display
configured over a network.

Michael