[GRASS-dev] GRASS won't compile - can't 'find' gdal

Andreas Hörsken andreas.hoersken at uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jan 19 10:49:42 EST 2009

Hi,
thanks for your help. The hint about the ogdi library solved the
problem for me.

It seems that the gdal-framework provided at www.kyngchaos.com needs
these libraries but I hadn't them installed. First I tried to compile
the ogdi library with these instructions for macosx:
(http://grass.itc.it/platforms/macgrass/ogdi.php) and (http://
www.kyngchaos.com/macosx:build:ogdi)
But that didn't work - there were so much unresolved includes that I
gave it up to compile ogdi.

What did the trick for me was compiling gdal by hand with the '--
without-ogdi' configure-option (see http://www.kyngchaos.com/
macosx:build:gdal ) as macosx framework.

Thanks again,
Andreas.

Am 19.01.2009 um 10:44 schrieb Markus Metz:

> Andreas Hörsken wrote:
>> I tried to compile grass on Macosx 10.4.11 (Tiger) today an got
>> the same error message when running configure:
>> checking for gdal-config... /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/
>> Programs/gdal-config
>> configure: error: *** Unable to locate GDAL library.
>>
>> The same happens with all versions of grass (i.e. grass-6.2.3,
>> grass-6.3.0, grass-6.4.0RC2, grass-6.4.svn, grass-7.0.svn). I
>> attached the build script and the config.log to this mail, but the
>> important part from the config.log should be the following:
>> gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/
>> Versions/1.5/Headers    conftest.c  -L/Library/Frameworks/
>> GDAL.framework/Versions/1.5/unix/lib -lgdal  1>&5
>> /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: warning can't open
>> dynamic library: @loader_path/Libraries/libogdi.dylib referenced
>> from:
> The path to the ogdi library is not known to the system and must be
> included. gdalinfo --formats should also not work (or any other
> gdal utilities). I have the same problem under Linux if I don't
> include the path to the custom compiled ogdi library in the system-
> wide library path. Under Linux I create a new file named ogdi.conf
> under /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ with the path to the ogdi library in it,
> then it works, no idea about how to do it on a Mac.
> I hope this points to the right direction.
>
> Markus M
>
>> /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.5/unix/lib/
>> libgdal.dylib (checking for undefined symbols may be affected) (No
>> such file or directory, errno = 2)
>>
>> So there are problems with loading other libraries (not the gdal-
>> library).
>> Has someone an idea why this goes wrong? I installed all
>> frameworks needed from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:grass/
>> Thanks,
>> Andreas.

>> ---

>> ---
>>
>> Am 06.07.2008 um 21:51 schrieb Michael Barton:
>>
>>> I just tried to compile GRASS yesterday to catch up. It won't get
>>> past configure, giving a gdal not found error.
>>> I'm using a Mac with OS X 10.5 I'm using the same configuration
>>> string that worked a couple weeks back. I updated from source
>>> yesterday (GRASS 6.4 and 7 give the same results). To be on the
>>> safe side, after getting these errors, I updated my frameworks
>>> (including the gdal framework), from William Kyngesbury's site.
>>> Same result.
>>>
>>> William mentioned that other people have had similar issues. So,
>>> I've pasted in my configure string and configure output below and
>>> attached the config.log file. If anyone has suggestions I'll try
>>> them out.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Michael
>>> ____________________
>>> C. Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
>>> Director of Graduate Studies
>>> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>>> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>>> Arizona State University
>>>
>>> Phone: 480-965-6262
>>> Fax: 480-965-7671
>>> www: <www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton <http://www.public.asu.edu/%
>>> 7Ecmbarton>>
>>>

>>>  <config.log>
>>>

>>> =========== configure string and output ============
>>>
>>> Last login: Sat Jul  5 18:26:18 on ttys000
>>> cmb-MBP-2:~ cmbarton$ cd /Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass6_src cmb-
>>> MBP-2:grass6_src cmbarton$ export NAD2BIN=/Library/Frameworks/
>>> PROJ.framework/Programs/nad2bin
>>> cmb-MBP-2:grass6_src cmbarton$ ./configure --with-freetype --with-
>>> freetype-includes="/Library/Frameworks/FreeType.framework/unix/
>>> include/freetype2 /Library/Frameworks/FreeType.framework/unix/
>>> include" --with-freetype-libs=/Library/Frameworks/
>>> FreeType.framework/unix/lib --with-gdal=/Library/Frameworks/
>>> GDAL.framework/Programs/gdal-config --with-proj --with-proj-
>>> includes=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/unix/include --with-
>>> proj-libs=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/unix/lib --with-proj-
>>> share=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Resources/proj --with-
>>> jpeg-includes=/Library/Frameworks/UnixImageIO.framework/unix/
>>> include --with-jpeg-libs=/Library/Frameworks/
>>> UnixImageIO.framework/unix/lib --with-png-includes=/Library/
>>> Frameworks/UnixImageIO.framework/unix/include --with-png-libs=/
>>> Library/Frameworks/UnixImageIO.framework/unix/lib --with-tiff-