[GRASS-dev] vector libs: file based spatial index

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 7 04:47:23 EDT 2009

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:

> I guess my point is that lidar datasets are getting quite massive. If
> we are going to be working with the lidar data as point data in the
> GRASS vector framework, go with the most scalable options. Scalability
> in working with large data sets is a huge benefit in using GRASS over
> other solutions.

For the time being, the only reasonable way to deal with these massive
datasets is to *not* build topology. It's not not only the spatial index
that is getting out of hand, also topology itself and the category
index. The grass vector libs must be told that there is nothing special
about point datasets (to cite Hamish) which means rewriting major parts
of the vector libs, and that takes time.

Markus M