[GRASS-dev] options label/description

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Jul 11 11:33:17 EDT 2009

Martin Landa wrote:

> I would suggest to rename given attributes of Flag/Option structure:
>
> label -> description
> description -> tooltip (or something similar)
>
> Current naming is quite misleading and a little bit confusing.
>
> In GRASS 7 'description' should be required, 'tooltip' optional.
>
> Comments?

The current naming is accurate.

In a GUI, the text used as the "title" of a widget is called a
"label". So in the option/flag structures, the text which is intended
to be used as the label goes in the field named "label".

These fields aren't restricted to the GUI (both are used in the
command-line --help output and HTML documentation), so "tooltip" isn't
appropriate.