[GRASS-dev] 7.svn fails to build from source

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jul 21 10:58:40 EDT 2009

I don't think it can - it needs Wxwidgets.  It's a wxwidgets problem,
so we can only work around it if/until wxwidgets is ever fixed (if
that's even possible).

Currently nviz and vdigit "avoid" this by a work around.

On Jul 20, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Maybe xganim needs to be changed to avoid this?
>
> Michael
> ____________________
> C. Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
> Director of Graduate Studies, School of Human Evolution & Social
> Change
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> Phone: 480-965-6262
> Fax: 480-965-7671
> www: <www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton>
>

> On Jul 20, 2009, at 9:05 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> I updated the makefile to strip 64bit flags on OSX.  But I found
>> another problem: it uses WXWIDGETSLIB for linking (it's only
>> wxwidgets, not wxpython), and it includes universal flags,
>> independently of however GRASS is configured.
>>
>> I've been compiling GRASS 7 with -arch i386 -arch x86_64, skipping
>> PPC, and I'm sure many people will just opt for a "native" build
>> (i386
>> or ppc).  So, the sources compile i386 (stripped of x86_64), but then
>> tries to link i386 + ppc because of WXWIDGETSLIB.
>>
>> Nothing I can do about this, it's really a wxwidgets config bug.
>> arch
>> flags should not be a part of link flags, and the arch flags don't
>> even appear in WXWIDGETSCXXFLAGS or WXWIDGETSCPPFLAGS where they
>> should be.
>>
>> The workaround is to make sure to configure GRASS universal.
>>
>> WXWIDGETSLIB doesn't affect the wxpython modules, nviz and vdigit,
>> wince they use a setup.py (where I have WXWIDGETSLIB ignored for OSX,
>> though I'm not sure this is the right way).
>>
>> Maybe I can strip the arch flags out of WXWIDGETSLIB...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect