[GRASS-dev] Re: comparing r.cost and r.terracost [was: Re: [GRASS-user] affecting cat of closest feature as pixel value]

Colin Nielsen colin.nielsen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:46:38 EDT 2009

>> In the idea of replacing r.cost by r.terracost, I would think that the
>> latter would first have to implement the options in r.cost, e.g.
>>
>> - equivalents of the start_points and coordinates options of r.cost
>> - stop_points/coordinates
>> - max_cost
>> - the knight's move
>> - ...

If r.terracost is going to replace r.cost, it should have a direction
raster/backlink output option like r.cost as well. Without this least
cost paths can't be accurately calculated.

http://grass.itc.it/grass70/manuals/html70_user/r.cost.html#move

> What does the max_cost do ?

Max cost is basically the value at which the algorithm stops looking
because it has reached a cost that is "high enough". It's sort of an
alternative to the stop_points option (though both can be used
together).

-Colin