[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Fri Jun 12 16:08:17 EDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2009/6/12 Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>:
>
> [...]
>
>> From this perspective, data layers seems sensible and I even talk
>> about
>> geospatial data when I teach GIS. I also understand the cartographic
>> perspective that maps are the final, often paper, result of combining
>> multiple geospatial data layers. Nonetheless, most users will find
>> it less
>> confusing if we just continue to call them maps--with the idea that
>> we've
>
> Which users? The users who I know are confused by "map" in the context
> that is used in GRASS. I remember when I started to use GRASS as my
> first GIS - I didn't understood why I should call raster file as
> "map". Probably my feeling is too much cartographic one - map is some
> kind of composition with given layout, decorations, text labels, etc.
> When I display raster file/dataset/layer or whatever in GRASS, e.g.
> 'elevation' from spearfish location, it's not a map in my eyes. I
> think that 'map' in this context is not right and whatever would be
> better. Sorry probably to much radical this evening;-)

Well, in part this may be a US perspective, but it is also an intro
versus advanced user perspective. Intro GIS texts here (e.g., Clark or
Heywood, Cornelius, & Carver) tend to talk about maps. More advanced
texts (and perhaps more European texts) seem to talk more about data
layers and spatial data (e.g., Burrough & McDonnell). In fact, what we
are using are spatial database files (or tables if in something like
PostGIS) and so data or spatial data are more accurate technical
terms. But these data are formatted/constructed so that they directly
translate into something that is visually very akin to a paper map.

I'm usually teaching beginning GIS users, so I've always found GRASS's
"maps" easy to to get across (and say in English and Spanish: mapas
vs. datos espaciales). However, I really don't have a problem with
switching to spatial data or something like that if we want to be more
technically correct.

>> moved maps from paper to digital media. Note that this was the
>> original
>> usage in one of the world's oldest GIS systems still in use (i.e.,
>> GRASS).
>> And looking at the 1980's video that someone rediscovered, the
>> parallels
>> between paper maps and digital maps were made so that potential
>> users could
>> better understand a GIS. From a personal perspective, I really
>> don't mind
>> data layers at all. I just think that map is easer for most users to
>> understand even if it seems somewhat inaccurate from a more technical
>> perspective.
>
> OK, anyway I still think that we should find more accurate term then
> the current one. GRASS7 is good occasion (it takes time, and many
> users will be confused for the short period).

I agree

Michael

> Martin

Director of Graduate Studies, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671