[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Roger Miller roger at spinn.net
Fri Jun 12 22:26:18 EDT 2009

I've not responded on-list for a while now, but this thread touches on
something that has bothered me for a while.

I'm an advanced user, but I'm still using 6.3.  Have subsequent releases
changed the use of "layer" in 6.0 through 6.3?  I recall that in those
cases, a "layer" in the vector apps referred to a database table, and
not to anything with a graphical representation.  If that has been
already fixed, then perhaps the term "layer" can be used for something
else, but it shouldn't be used at all unless the former uses have been
removed.

I prefer terminology in which the word "map" refers to a graphical
representation of geospacial data.  The map may be simple or complex,
printed or on-screen.  If I can look at it and see spacial relations
then it is a map.  That graphical representation can be composed of one
or more than one set of geospacial data.  A single raster data set may
comprise a map, or a map may (and often does) include representations of
many sets of geospacial data, plus decoration and annotation.

In conversations with my peers I usually try to avoid using the term
"layer" for any kind of GIS entity.  The term provides a handy mental
image, but it is also a term widely used for other purposes.  I often
use GRASS to support ground water models that have layers of their own.
The "layer" terminology becomes confusing.  I believe there are other
applications where the term presents potential confusion.

For most of my uses, I refer to the data components of a map as "data
sets."  If you need to distinguish between the spacial data and the
tabular data associated with it then the modifications are simply
"spacial data sets" and "tabular data sets."

Roger