[GRASS-dev] New WinGrass Release (6.4.0RC5)

Colin Nielsen colin.nielsen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 09:21:13 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Hamish<hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>> the last time I ended up in the hell of mixing libraries built using
>> mingw (GRASS) and msvs (wxpython). Currently I have no time for this
>> kind of "fun". If somebody put on wiki instructions how to overcome
>> this problem I will be happy to fix MS Windows related bugs to make
>> these extensions working under MS Windows.
>
> have you tried the updated & simplified build instructions using osgeo4w
> as the framework?
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/CompileOnWindows

If I'm understanding correctly, the OSGeo4W framework appears to be
part of the problem as those packagers used msvc rather than mingw to
compile several of the libraries.

Last night I compiled wxwidgets with mingw (though python and swig are
still msvc I think), which gave me a wx-config file to use in the
grass configure (trunk and devbr_6). During make, errors popped up for
xganim but not for vdigit. However, neither worked when I tested the
builds. Probably because i left out --with-cxx which I didn't realize
was required, and --with-python which I haven't been able to figure
out from the lists if its required or not. I should read the build
instructions more carefully. Was I missing anything else?

-Colin