[GRASS-dev] New WinGrass Release (6.4.0RC5)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jun 17 17:43:07 EDT 2009

Colin Nielsen wrote:

> >> the last time I ended up in the hell of mixing libraries built using
> >> mingw (GRASS) and msvs (wxpython). Currently I have no time for this
> >> kind of "fun". If somebody put on wiki instructions how to overcome
> >> this problem I will be happy to fix MS Windows related bugs to make
> >> these extensions working under MS Windows.
> >
> > have you tried the updated & simplified build instructions using osgeo4w
> > as the framework?
> >
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/CompileOnWindows
>
> If I'm understanding correctly, the OSGeo4W framework appears to be
> part of the problem as those packagers used msvc rather than mingw to
> compile several of the libraries.

The main problem which I had was that the stock Windows wxPython
distribution doesn't include a wx-config file, and the third-party
Windows wx-config project doesn't appear to be compatible with the
wxPython version which I have (2.8.9.2).

I would strongly prefer to use the stock package rather than a custom
version, to prevent conflicts.

> Last night I compiled wxwidgets with mingw (though python and swig are
> still msvc I think), which gave me a wx-config file to use in the
> grass configure (trunk and devbr_6). During make, errors popped up for
> xganim but not for vdigit. However, neither worked when I tested the
> builds. Probably because i left out --with-cxx which I didn't realize
> was required, and --with-python which I haven't been able to figure
> out from the lists if its required or not. I should read the build
> instructions more carefully. Was I missing anything else?

--with-python is required.

I just tried using it with MinGW, but the check failed due to warnings
about redefining HAVE_PUTENV and HAVE_FTIME (autoconf's include checks
fail if the preprocessor writes anything to stderr, regardless of the
exit code).

Hacking pyconfig.h allowed configure to progress further, although
python-config can't seem to figure out CFLAGS etc.