[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Markus GRASS markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:22:12 EDT 2009

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Just to make this more visual:
>
> d.vect testlayers2 layer=1 fcol=green
> d.vect testlayers2 layer=2 fcol=red icon=basic/circle size=10
> d.vect testlayers2 layer=3 col=blue width=5 type=line
>
> giving you
>
> http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/misc/layer_example.png
>
> This is the "classical" CAD model. Main advantage: you only have to
> carry around one vector map, instead of three and you might be able to
> more easily work out topology between the different features (although
> I'm not sure this is true).
I'm pretty sure that topology is built and maintained for all geometry
objects in a vector irrespective of their cat and layer links. I guess
that was the whole idea ...
> But I agree that the advantages of this usage are debatable and one
> can argue that splitting up the three "themes" into three separate
> maps is cleaner.
Probably depends on the features and purpose and personal preferences.
Sometimes it is cleaner, sometimes there is no advantage, IOW GRASS
vectors give you more possibilities than many other vector formats.

Markus M