[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #431: vector operations crash in 64bit OSX

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Mar 2 09:52:43 EST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Can it be built with tcltk nviz? What do I have to do to make this
> work?

You'd have to build your own TclTk frameworks, since the ActiveTcl is
32bit only.  I'll have to try that - my last notes (last July) say
that 64bit Aqua wasn't working yet, only 64bit X11.

> I'm very excited. It will make some of our complex models move
> really fast on the Mac finally.

I suppose you may get a little speed, but I thought 64bits was more
about volume, or more accessible memory.  As I understand it, the
32bit mode on 64bit Intel processors isn't really much slower, if at
all, than 64bit.  This is certainly true for PPC processors, those
have been 64bit from the start and 32bit 'mode', used in OSX before
Leopard, is designed to be just as fast.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the
past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between
my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe