sqlite and grass65: was Re: [GRASS-dev] sqlite and grass64

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 07:24:48 EDT 2009

Re. the missing functionality of DBF, would it be feasible
for v.db.join to import the DBF table to a temp SQLite file,
do the join and export it back to a DBF?
Would the same thing be possible for other SQL ops that DBF
does not support? For where=SQL module options?

It should be possible to ship SQLite with GRASS, shouldn't
it -- given it's highly portable and consumes < 250K? Plus
can be fully embedded w/o conflicting with system-wide
installs?

I suppose SpatiaLite would be an ideal exchange format
for vector maps.

Just some thoughts...

Cheers,

Ben

Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>> think we definitely
>>> chosen maps in a new
>>> chosen maps into
>>> whatever) with the
>>> WIND files) and
>>> Essentially a v.pack/v.unpack, right?
>>>
>>> Markus
>>
>> What would be really neat is if there was a way to delete, as well as
>> archive a location from the startup screen.
>
> That should actually be much easier. Deleting just implies removing the
> directory from the file system, archiving just needs a call to create a
> tar ball or equivalent. So, essentially a small GUI to call one single
> command.
>
> v.pack/v.unpack would be different in that it should deal with
> individual maps. even though I suggest to include the location info as
> sort of meta-data, but also to give the possibility to v.unpack into a
> new, stand-alone location. Don't know if the last is really necessary,
> though. Just including necessary meta-data concerning the projection
> system should be enough.
>
> Moritz
>

>> Bob

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES