[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #570: startup problem with standalone GRASS install

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri May 8 16:34:18 EDT 2009

Martin Landa wrote:

> >> I mean "configure --with-python --with-wxwidgets=...".
> >
> > ie where to find the wx-config program? I've filed a ticket with osgeo4w,
> > hopefully it's not noise.
> >
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/85
>
> wx-config is not part of the OSGeo4w wxPython package. Probably you
> need to compile your own wxPython using mingw. Also python-config is
> missing. Question: do we need python-config? wxGUI extensions are
> build using setup.py. So --with-python could check only if 'python'
> binaries are available (?)

Okay, I'm going to hold off doing anything regarding Windows until
that gets sorted out.

Ultimately, one of the biggest problems facing the Windows version is
that it's *still* a major hassle to compile GRASS on Windows.

Anyone interested in having GRASS work well on Windows would be well
advised to spend less time worrying about end users, and spend more
time making life easy for developers.

Otherwise, we're going to remain stuck in the situation where, at any
given time, at most one person has the ability to compile GRASS on
Windows, that one person spends their time focusing on end users, but
they eventually get fed up and quit because they're having to do it
all themselves.