[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r37087 - in grass/trunk/gui: scripts wxpython/scripts

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun May 10 21:25:16 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:

> > > Added:
> > >   grass/trunk/gui/scripts/windows_launch.bat
>
> Martin Landa wrote:
> > is it really needed in trunk in regards we are planning to
> > use Python for all scripts?
>
> AFAIK it is needed whenever non-.exe or .bat named modules will be run
> using simply their command name. So that is needed for both python and
> shell scripts. Windows doesn't know executable bits or #!/bin/python
> shebangs. The alternative is to add interpreters and path names to the
> command line, and change all script's GUI menu entries to some special
> launch function.

It should only be needed for Tcl/Tk (exec and "open |..."), which has
its own hacks for .exe and .bat (maybe .com and/or .cmd? I'm not
sure).

Everything other than Tcl/Tk falls into one of two cases: either you
always have to provide the extension (even for .exe or .bat), or it
uses PATHEXT and the registry settings (related to ftype/assoc).

BTW, we need to add .py to PATHEXT; we don't appear to be doing this
at present.