[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r37136 - grass/branches/develbranch_6/lib/gis

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 02:36:01 EDT 2009

Markus wrote:
> I added this already in 2008 but Glynn commented like
> this:

> > - G_fatal_error(_("Incompatible library version for module"));
> > + G_fatal_error(_("Incompatible library version for module: recompilation needed."));
> >
> > isn't necessarily accurate.
> >
> > The error could also be caused by a mismatch between PATH and
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or ld.so.cache, etc) if you have more than one
> > version of GRASS installed.
> >
> > Or it could be caused by a module linking against GDAL, where GDAL was
> > built against an old version of GRASS. In that case, it's true that
> > recompilation is needed, but it would be GDAL that needs
> > recompilation.
> >
> > In general, error messages should only report what is known; they
> > shouldn't attempt to guess as the underlying cause.

eg in the current case, where recompilation apparently didn't help.

but if error message are overly cryptic they aren't much help either;
in this case it wasn't even clear that GRASS was the source of the
error.

> Still I tend to actually have the message improved since the
> minimalistic notification regularly confuses people.

and this is like the like the xth time in a row someone has
misunderstood that message.

anyway I changed it again in SVN to add:
  "You need to rebuild GRASS or untangle multiple installations."

which isn't perfect, but hopefully that is vague enough to make everyone
happy, yet still give a pretty good hint about the probable cause (without
stating it for sure).

Hamish