[GRASS-dev] python grass problems on OSX (Incompatible library version for module)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 11 10:46:26 EDT 2009

massimo di stefano wrote:

> >> i'm tring to utilize a python function iside the grass environment,
> >> but i gett errors about :
> >>
> >> "Incompatible library version for module"
> >
> > If "make clean" and rebuilding doesn't fix it, then it sounds like you
> > have more than one version of GRASS on your system, and it's picking
> > up the wrong libraries.
> >

> Yes it is, i tried make clean && make distclean,
> i also tried on a fresh svn download.
> I've installed on my system different grass versions :
>
> grass64 (binary verion)
> grass65 , grass70  (from svn)
>

> >> outside a running GRASS, it works from python.  From python started
> >> inside a GRASS shell, it doesn't work.
> >
> > That sounds like multiple versions.
>

> How to avoid this problem?

Don't have more than one version.

If you must have more than one version, ensure that no part of GRASS
or any library which links against GRASS (e.g. GDAL) is installed
outside of the GISBASE directory (i.e. not in /usr or in /usr/local
or, on a Mac, in /System).

If you want more than one version, and you want one of those versions
to be installed outside of the GISBASE directory, and you want to
build programs which work with the other version, then you need to
understand the compilation, linking and loading processes in some
detail.

Finally, note that any program which uses GRASS libraries will only
ever work with the specific version for which it was built. You can't
create an executable which will work with more than version.