[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #604: /usr/lib/grass64/etc/grass-run.sh does not work properly when called by gis.m to execute in a external xterm

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu May 14 23:29:05 EDT 2009

#604: /usr/lib/grass64/etc/grass-run.sh does not work properly when called by
gis.m to execute in a external xterm
-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  frankie   |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
      Type:  defect    |      Status:  new
 Component:  Tcl       |     Version:  6.4.0 RCs
Resolution:            |    Keywords:  xterm
  Platform:  Linux     |         Cpu:  Unspecified
-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
Changes (by hamish):

  * priority:  minor => critical

Comment:

 Ok, found it. It was gis.m/grass-run.sh trying to execute the command in
 full (spaces, args, and all) quoted instead of breaking it down into a
 $cmd and $args. I added "set" to the grass-run.sh script and the PATHs are
 all fine, it is just that there is no ./bin/"g.proj -p" executable. The
 give-away was trying "ls -l" and having that fail too.

 I've now added in 6.5svn a new feature where if g.gisenv's DEBUG is set
 >=1 it will pause before closing the xterm.

 it would seem that the problem is on this line of lib/init/grass-run.src:

 {{{
 # run command
 "$@"
 }}}

 which was introduced, somewhat ironically, in r20416.
 The point of r20416 was to allow commands with spaces like:
 {{{
   # (maybe not the best example, but..)
   v.db.select roads where="label ~ 'highway'"
 }}}

 ... to function correctly.

 but it looks like it is backfiring.

 not sure how to fix it in sh, in Tcl at least we can use a list of
 strings. some magic with "shift" perhaps?

 Hamish

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/604#comment:4>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>