[GRASS-dev] Re: [SoC] GRASS - Network Analysis, 1st week report

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat May 16 19:47:18 EDT 2009

Hi Daniel,

welcome back!

Thanks for the feedback about the street and railroad data.
In fact, these data sets are updated every 6 months by law and Wake
county
provides monthly updates - the latest has been posted April 29 and it
looks like
the errors have been fixed.
The roadsmajor is just for orientation and the errors seem to be
leftover segments of removed
roads. More detailed streets_wake should be better, but still can
have some errors.

In the latest data set for major roads the interchanges have been
removed and the data set seems to be pretty clean
(note that it is in feet)
http://lnweb02.co.wake.nc.us/gis/gismaps.nsf/
0/6C1064DB649A6FD585256EE100530F2C/$FILE/Wake_MajorRoads_2009_05.zip

Wake_streets has all the details with updates.
http://lnweb02.co.wake.nc.us/gis/gismaps.nsf/
0/6C8F972440CAF81285256BCD00717515/$FILE/Wake_Streets_2009_05.zip

I can prepare a new release of the data set as nc_spm_09 (and the
smaller nc_basic as well), if it would be worth the effort
(the data need to be projected/transformed from feet and clipped and
above all tested at least with the GRASSbook examples
to make sure GRASS can handle whatever is in the updated data sets).

There are also LRS roads and integrated statewide road data from
Department of Transportation
  that should be cleaned up and properly structured for routing
http://www.ncdot.org/it/gis/DataDistribution/DOTData/default.html

Railroad data might have been updated too - I haven't looked at them
yet.

I am posting this to the developers list as well to get some feedback
on whether
it  would be worth the effort to update the data set (there is huge
amount of free data available and easy to get
from nconemap.com in case somebody wants them but I am not sure we
need them in the data set so
I suggest to limit the update to fixing errors and adding more
specific metadata links),

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor