[GRASS-dev] Re: GEOS support in GRASS 6.5 ?

Markus GRASS markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed May 20 04:05:59 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Markus M:
>
>> For speed-up, implement the respective algorithms directly in the GRASS
>> vector libs? Lots of work...
>>

> .... at the cost of having to maintain the code forever more and not
> automatically get updates.

Hm, good point.  But, independent of the new GEOS functionality in
v.select, I was thinking about implementing some GEOS algorithms for
functionality that is already used by the vector libs directly, if the
GEOS algorithms are better (e.g. faster, lighter on memory) than the
current vector lib version. This would mostly apply to topology building
and maintenance, used by pretty much every vector module. IMO, forking
would make sense in this case because it can then be better integrated
in the GRASS vector libs.

With regard to v.select, I guess Martin will decide if the performance
is acceptable or if it is worth a try to port some GEOS tools to GRASS,
being aware of the disadvantages you mention.

Markus M