[GRASS-dev] swig/python setup.py removed?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon May 25 15:53:59 EDT 2009

Martin, just wondering why swig/python was changed to use the makefile
only instead of setup.py?  Now we're back to the same problem we had
with the wx nviz & vdigit and OSX before I added the ifdef's in the
makefiles (then the recent switch to setup.py) -- wrong linking flags
are used.

ie:

Python modules on OSX don't link the Python library directly, but
instead use "-bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup".

LD should not reuse the global GRASS SHARED_LD because it has the OSX
*library* linking flags, which include -dynamiclib which conflicts
with the needed -bundle flag.

I can patch Python.make to set PYMOD_LDFLAGS conditionally for darwin,
like what I did in nviz/vdigit, and set PYMOD_LD to "$(CXX) -shared".
But I'm not sure that PYMOD_LD is appropriate for all platforms (OK on
Linux, -shared is ignored on OSX).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy