[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 43, Issue 8

Laura Toma ltoma at bowdoin.edu
Fri Nov 6 18:26:29 EST 2009

Hi Markus,

How much memory was available  on the machine?  If the machine had
more than 512MB  RAM,  it is not fair to run terracost running with
mem=400MB, and compare it with an algorithm that can use more memory.

However, I am surprised that withnumtiles=1,  it was slower than
r.cost.   That's something I'd like to  look into.  Would you mind
sharing the raster with me, and sending me the exact commands that
you ran?

A grid with 29M points is pretty small, for today's machines.  I
suggest running on something 10 times larger.  And use a lot of
sources, that makes the data access  pattern  less local.

-Laura