[GRASS-dev] Unclean exit in 6.5: pgrep issue

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Nov 8 03:28:57 EST 2009

Hamish wrote:

> Glynn:
> > > pgrep itself isn't remotely portable, and shouldn't be used.
>
> duly noted.
>
> Markus:
> > Should I revert the change?
>
> I'll work on a replacement asap.
> probably start with ps|grep & double checking the IEEE/SUS for portability.

I wouldn't rely upon the output from "ps" conforming to any particular
standard.

> leaving the check off means a few second delay every time you exit, even
> if you never started the tcl/tk gui, which is too annoying to let live.

How about only performing the check if Init.sh actually started gis.m?

This won't catch the case where the user started it manually from the
shell, but in that case it's debatable whether Init.sh should be
killing it automatically.